More than a school,
we're a community
Each morning at Shanghai American School, 2,791 students are welcomed to one of our two beautiful campuses. But students attending classes is merely part of the SAS experience. Awaiting our families is a community – one that invites involvement, offers support, and fosters partnership with the school and, equally important, with each other.
students from Pre-K3 through Grade 12 on campuses in Pudong and Puxi.
countries have found a home in Shanghai, right here at SAS.
“I wish I would’ve gone here when I was a kid.”
Presenting Shanghai American SchoolIt seems that no matter what SAS visitors are looking for in the school, they come away with the same conclusion: “I wish I would’ve gone to school here when I was a kid.” It’s an understandable observation. Because the educational experience of SAS excels in many ways. Looking for a rigorous academic environment that can prepare your child for some of the world’s most laudable colleges, universities and fine arts programs? You can find that here. Seeking a philosophy that will nurture your child both inside and outside the classroom? Let us tell you about our dozens of clubs, service learning opportunities, and sports teams that range from participatory up to a varsity-level program that has earned 101 APAC championships. Searching for top facilities? Ours are unmatched in Shanghai, and our not-for-profit status means all revenue that goes into the school stays in the school, continually making the SAS experience even better. All of which has caused more than a few alumni to return to campus, look around, and say, “I wish I was still in school here.”
eighth graders have spent a month in a small village in Yunnan as part of Microcampus, one of SAS’ Signature Programs.
subjects are taught concurrently in the two-year interdisciplinary project-based learning program called Innovation Institute, one of SAS’ Signature Programs.
- Sram Pg1050 10 Speed 11-36t Cassette
- Topeak DeFender iGlow X - Road Mudguard Set
- Hamax Kindersitz Kiss Befestigung Rahmenrohr grey grün
- Rip-It VISJ Vision Pro Softball Batter Helmet W Mask - Navy VISJ-NY - S M
- CANNA SUNRISE TOP-SHOT XS CORSICA Traina col Vivo Limited Edition
- ECHO BOOST 590-4 9' FOOT WEIGHT 4 PC FLY ROD + TUBE, WARRANTY, FREE U.S. SHIP
- KP3625 Trolling Rod Daiwa Sealine Trolling 6.6 ft 40-80 Lb Traina reel
- BURTON Women's SOCIETY Snow Pants - Firey Red - Large - NWT
- OPST COMMANDO SMOOTH ALL SIZES FREE WARP SPEED SHIPPING
- SKINSTAR Startset, Digital Wachseisen Bürste Wachs Abziehklinge 5-teilig
- Women Men Kangaroo Jumping shoes Professional Breathable Sports Jumps shoes
- NEW WHITEWOODS 75mm 3 PIN cross country BOOTS - All Sizes
- C-OW-S S - Hilason Infra-Tech Horse Medicine Sports Boots Rear Hind Leg Red
- Magura, Mt Trail Sl Carbon HC, Front+Rear 4 2-kolben Disc Brakes
- E-Bike 36V 14.5Ah Batería Bicicleta Eléctrica Radon M2S Rollgan Bergamont
- Sram XX1 Crankset Carbon 1 Fold 32 Teeth BB30 for 11 Ply Chain 170 Mm
- Columbus Carve Carbon Road Forks - 1 1 8 Inch
- Led Lenser MH10 Headlamp Rechargeable
- SRAM Lever Assembly for Level T
- 26 REG. SQUARE TWISTED TRIPLE BAR SPRINGER FORK BEACH CRUISER LOWRIDER BICYCLE
- TOUR DE FRANCE VINTAGE LEATHER BICYCLE SHOES SIZE 41 NOS - NIB
- Salomon X Ultra 3 Prime Walking shoes Mens Gents Non Water Repellent Laces
- Race Face Cinch Direct Mount Narrow-Wide 32T Red 10s 11s Chainrings
- Fahrradhelm Limar Berg-EM mattblack Gr.M (52-57cm)
- Greys `13ft 3.5oz carp rods
- Tailwalk ELAN SUPERWIDEPOWER 71BL Baitcasting Reel JIGGING
- Shimano 10 Aorista CI4 C3000 Spinning Reel New Saltwater Squid Right or Left
- Nomura Isei Light Game 7ft 2 (2.2m) rod
destinations across China await our students' arrival each year as part of China Alive, an SAS Signature Program that deepens our students' appreciation of our host country.
As a not-for-profit, all revenue goes back into our school. Here’s proof.
On Tuesday, September 17, 1912, just months after the fall of the Qing Dynasty, SAS opened its doors to 38 students. The school occupied two buildings in the city’s Hongkou neighborhood, just north of the Bund. Founded by a group of missionaries, SAS quickly earned the backing of the American business community and by 1921, the two-building campus had grown to twelve buildings.
The 1940s were a challenging time for everyone in Shanghai. At SAS, the school persevered, thanks to a teacher who refused to let it close. Frank “Unk” Cheney created “Bootleg SAS” versions to navigate an ever-changing political climate and assure the educational excellence of SAS survived the tumultuous decade.
It was 1980, and after a “recess” that lasted 30 years, Shanghai once again needed premier education for the children of expats. The wife of a U.S. Consulate employee, Linnea C. Lauer, was tasked with re-founding SAS. That fall, class was once again in session for seven SAS students – three of whom were Lauer’s own children.
By the mid-1990s, SAS had outgrown our shared space with Shanghai’s famous Girls No. 3 School, and the demand was so strong, it called for not one but two campuses. For the next 2-3 years, the school was housed in two impressively designed makeshift campuses while our current ones were being built.
With a history that began in 1912, SAS is Shanghai’s most storied international school.