More than a school,
we're a community
Each morning at Shanghai American School, 2,791 students are welcomed to one of our two beautiful campuses. But students attending classes is merely part of the SAS experience. Awaiting our families is a community – one that invites involvement, offers support, and fosters partnership with the school and, equally important, with each other.
students from Pre-K3 through Grade 12 on campuses in Pudong and Puxi.
countries have found a home in Shanghai, right here at SAS.
“I wish I would’ve gone here when I was a kid.”
Presenting Shanghai American SchoolIt seems that no matter what SAS visitors are looking for in the school, they come away with the same conclusion: “I wish I would’ve gone to school here when I was a kid.” It’s an understandable observation. Because the educational experience of SAS excels in many ways. Looking for a rigorous academic environment that can prepare your child for some of the world’s most laudable colleges, universities and fine arts programs? You can find that here. Seeking a philosophy that will nurture your child both inside and outside the classroom? Let us tell you about our dozens of clubs, service learning opportunities, and sports teams that range from participatory up to a varsity-level program that has earned 101 APAC championships. Searching for top facilities? Ours are unmatched in Shanghai, and our not-for-profit status means all revenue that goes into the school stays in the school, continually making the SAS experience even better. All of which has caused more than a few alumni to return to campus, look around, and say, “I wish I was still in school here.”
eighth graders have spent a month in a small village in Yunnan as part of Microcampus, one of SAS’ Signature Programs.
subjects are taught concurrently in the two-year interdisciplinary project-based learning program called Innovation Institute, one of SAS’ Signature Programs.
- Milestone Camping Folding Moon Chair - bluee
- Lusiana dressage saddle in French doubled leather with supports Equestro
- Womens Inov8 Roclite 315 Womens Trail Running shoes - Purple 1
- ABU AMBASSADEUR IGFA 12 BOXED WITH PAPERWORKS
- PENN SQUALL 30 LEVER DRAG MULTIPLIER SEA FISHING REEL SQL30LD 1206093
- Savage Gear Salt 1DFR Tataki 2,44m 2-section Saltwater sea rod
- LIMITED EDITION Hello Kitty Encore Vans Snowboard Boots - Youth 5Y
- Trangoworld Manaslu Pant PC007159 Men's Mountain Clothing Pants & Shorts
- Marke Todd Kurz Fileon Boot 40 brown - Mark Short Brown Boots Ladies Country
- Sommerekzem bei Pferden - NEU molekular-technologisches Ekzempflegemittel
- E-Bike 24V 27.2Ah Batería Bicicleta Eléctrica Velano BESV HPC As Bikes Kadanie
- Rawlings Womens QUATRO (-10) Fastpitch Bat Softball 2.25 Balanced (31 -21oz)
- Rawlings 5150 BBCOR College High School Baseball Bat BB953 33 30 NEW Alloy
- Coleman Juniper Lake Instant Dome Tent w Annex 4 person & DOG + one minute setup
- Picnic Time Denver Broncos Manta Sun Shelter Tent
- ZAINO SALOMON 393196 EVASION 25 MEDIEVAL blueE DEEP COBALT
- Campagnolo Centaur seatpin seatpost 28.6 mm MTB 300 mm lenght,NOS
- Cane Creek 110 Corti Is41 28.6
- Aluminio Chapas de Predección black 26-28, 55 Mm
- DIA-COMPE MX-2 BA733 Brake Caliper Red Front & Rear (Pair)
- Slot ketting abus 7210 85 - zwart
- Rare Morris Graphite Works Works Limited 610s Rod Fishing warranty and bag
- Harkila Kotka weekend bag 65L Dusty olive
- Mark Todd Unisex's Predechnik Jump Saddlepad Full Navy, Regular
- Vicious Vision Vengeance White Pro Series Sunglass-Copper
- Scott Strike G-Zero Carbon Full Suspension Retro Mountain Bike Project
- D129 Full Face Snorkeling Mask Diving Swimming Scuba Goggles Survival Rescue M
- KAELIN Snow Suit Ski Bib Purple Vintage 80's Women's Winter Snowboard Size 6 36
- HELLY HANSEN Men's SELKIRK Ski Pants, Ivy Green, size XL
- RUSSELL ATHLETIC FELPA ZIP E CAPPUCCIO FELPA men A8 006 1 190
- Legler - Longboard Surfer - 4092
- Crawfish Cooking Kit 62 Quart Premium Stainless Steel Hold up to 20 Lbs
- SIDI Fahrradschuhe ROAD Genius 7 Größe 46 weiß
- Original Petromax Raketenofen rf 33, Campingofen, NEU
- Shimano Dura Ace FC-R9100 Left Crank Arm 180mm New in Box
- Multi-purpose Engineering Shovel Folding Self-defense Shovel Outdoor
- Terry Bicycles Soleil Long Sleeve Jersey - Women's Provenance XXL
- LOOK Selle San Marco Rolls saddle very rare
- Bike-Parts 28″ Hinterrad Rigida X-Star 19 + Shimano Acera T3000 8-fach (QR)
- ONeal grun 2019 Q RL MTB Helm
- STUFA A GAS CON accensione-piezo
- Garmin Fenix 5S Plus Sea Foam 010-01987-22 AUTHORIZED GARMIN DEALER
- NEW DAIWA Reel 18 Grand Surf 25 06 PE
- Mirafit Set of 12 Non Slip Yoga Exercise Mats & Wall Hanger Pilates Gym Studio
- Asics Womens Gel-Kayano 25 Lite-Show Running shoes bluee Grey Sports Breathable
- Megawheels 6.5 Self Balancing Electric Scooter Hoverboard blueetooth Bag bluee
- E-Bike 48V 20.4Ah Battery Electric Bicycle Bike Leisger Desiknio Gazelle
- Big Agnes Seedhouse SL 2 Person Tent
- E-Bike 24V 11.6Ah Battery Electric Bicycle Bike Voodoo Maserati Gepida Ms-Ebike
- NEW Castelli GIRO102 Race Giro d'Italia Aero Race 6.0 Jersey black MAGLIA NERA
- RAVEMEN PR1200 USB Fahrradlampe LED 1200lm von sportalleshop
- Chub Outkast Full Cork 12' 3.00lb 2 PC Carp Fishing Rod with Double Leg Guides
- DAM MAD Nano+ Wireless Alarm Set 3 + 1 In Case NEW
- C-SGXL Classic Equine Extra Large Steel Grey Lightweight Stable Sheet
- Smiths fuse goggles, new without tags
destinations across China await our students' arrival each year as part of China Alive, an SAS Signature Program that deepens our students' appreciation of our host country.
As a not-for-profit, all revenue goes back into our school. Here’s proof.
On Tuesday, September 17, 1912, just months after the fall of the Qing Dynasty, SAS opened its doors to 38 students. The school occupied two buildings in the city’s Hongkou neighborhood, just north of the Bund. Founded by a group of missionaries, SAS quickly earned the backing of the American business community and by 1921, the two-building campus had grown to twelve buildings.
The 1940s were a challenging time for everyone in Shanghai. At SAS, the school persevered, thanks to a teacher who refused to let it close. Frank “Unk” Cheney created “Bootleg SAS” versions to navigate an ever-changing political climate and assure the educational excellence of SAS survived the tumultuous decade.
It was 1980, and after a “recess” that lasted 30 years, Shanghai once again needed premier education for the children of expats. The wife of a U.S. Consulate employee, Linnea C. Lauer, was tasked with re-founding SAS. That fall, class was once again in session for seven SAS students – three of whom were Lauer’s own children.
By the mid-1990s, SAS had outgrown our shared space with Shanghai’s famous Girls No. 3 School, and the demand was so strong, it called for not one but two campuses. For the next 2-3 years, the school was housed in two impressively designed makeshift campuses while our current ones were being built.
With a history that began in 1912, SAS is Shanghai’s most storied international school.